Fossil: UX Research
Fossil is a popular chain retailer known for insipred watches and handbags.
They wanted to extend their great in-store customer experience, online.
To achieve this they needed to develop a deep user understanding:
- How do online shoppers narrow down their options and make decisions?
- How could product detail pages affect motivation?
- How could we enhance the checkout funnel to improve conversion?
We made research-driven design decisions to improve usability, engagement, and persuasive design—ultimately driving sales.
SPARK conducted a series of research studies.
Competitive Evaluation: We identified how Fossil could excel beyond their competitors, including Coach, Anthropologie, Kenneth Cole, and Oakley.
Focus Groups: We innovated design features to engage new audiences.
Usability Testing: We identified UX issues with site navigation, browsing, filtering, and checkout.
Eye Tracking: We analyzed eye movements to optimize for greater usability and engagement.
Spark experience is top notch at providing comprehensive user testing including eye- tracking services, which helped us at Fossil hone in on exactly which pain points needed attention most. And to understand the overall impact of numerous small details that needed attention. Their deep knowledge was obvious in how the study was run from start to finish. Plus working with the team was a pleasure. Carri Craver
User Experience Strategist
Our research-driven recommendations improved usability, engagement, and persuasion — yielding a strong ROI.
- Usability of the improved design increased substantially, from a 69% success rate to a 90% success rate.
- Emotional engagement increased to 87%, a major improvement.
- Visual appeal rose to a staggering 93%.
- Site functionality moved up to 86% satisfaction.
This all led to a clear, measurable return on investment.